Working with a licensed remodeling contractor protects you and your property.
Licenses are different than certifications and association memberships.
- There are different types of licenses.
- Home Improvement Contractor Registration – This registration allows the contractor to offer remodeling services.
- Construction Supervisor License – This license allows a contractor to pull permits for work
- Massachusetts Lead Safe Renovator License (or EPA RRP (Renovation, Repair, and Painting) License.) – This license is required by law if a contractor is disturbing more than 6 square feet of paint in a home built before 1978.
- Benefits of working with Licensed Professionals include:
- Signifies they are registered to handle work valued over $500
- Provides access to the Guaranty Fund
- CSL licensees must have at least 3 years of experience as a contractor
- To make sure your contractor is licensed, ask for their license number. (Any contractor who balks or hesitates is a risk.)
- You can also look up a contractor’s license number online.